Sunday, May 2, 2010

Thursday at Canton First Monday

I may have mentioned before that my husband has a rather variable schedule. We've had a number of weeks where he had Saturday and Sunday, or Friday and Saturday off, so we've been able to get to a lot of the weekend festivals. This week though, he had Tuesday and Thursday off. So I decided it would be a good day to make the trek to Canton for the first time.

This place is freaking huge. We arrived around 11:30 ish, and stayed till 4:30 and didn't see half of the place. It also has a good mix between new items, antiques and garage sale type stuff. The really interesting stuff tends to be out in the sun, which isn't so very kind to my lily-white skin, but I persevered.

The very first place we went to we found interesting things. My SIL's mother likes pigs; however, SIL has threatened me with bodily harm if I buy another pig tchotchke for her Mom. In that spirit, here are a couple of pigs that I'm NOT getting:

(I especially like the stacking pigs in the second shot). They had several other pigs, but these are the ones I'm not getting.

Here was a an interesting sign shop:

"I am out of Estrogen and I have Gun" (sic) She also has job, but probably not high school education.

These were truly impressive and well done. I just don't have a place from a 6 foot eagle.


The sign on this booth reads "This Booth Is Electronically Monitored & Recorded 24 Hours a Day With Video, Audio, and At Night, Motion Detection." I don't know if this is a case of overkill, or closing the barn door too late:


Is Spanish Baroque back in style? Because I have a house's worth of switch plates and towel racks that I need to sell.


These peanut roasters were so cool looking, and the owner was looking for someone to turn the entire business over to. I don't like peanuts enough to do this, but it would be an interesting thing for someone to do.



Long views - these show only a small part of the market:


Looks like the Stay-Puft marshmallow man from Ghostbusters took a side trip here before going to NYC.

Finally, this was my favorite booth just for the colorfulness - a booth outside selling FiestaWare. They also have a store just east of Canton, which we went to after we left the market, because I wanted a canister and didn't want to have to carry it around:



I'm going back with my real camera next to get more pictures from this booth.

No comments:

Post a Comment